Saturday, June 10, 2006

Requiem for Whitman

My cosmos is not so tightly jammed
with swirling Van Gogh skies over my head
and not so blasted with big stars

screaming brightly over schizophrenic fields.
My planet is not so teeming as yours

with divine humans for whom I ache
regardless of gender details.

My heart races only for women that way.
I am awakened, only rarely, by the odd

miracle that opens me for an instant.

We have entered a new puritan age, old Walt,

and you would wilt and perish here.
We would ship you to Guantanamo

with a black number on your orange back.
We would feed you meds to twist you around

to face a little flickering screen and sit content.
You would grow sullen; your huge soul

compacted for the gated lifestyle, or die.

I would walk in your shoes, old Walt,

but I am a little leery of the open road
and its song, that nowadays sounds like diesel trucks

and screeching mustangs.
I would inhale the perfume of sweat

and love it as you do, but these days
we have all learned that humans stink

and there is illness lurking in every deep breath.
I long to unbolt the rusty door of my heart

and allow the ravens to flap out and fly free.

I am dreaming of your thick inky fingers that grasp

every steaming loaf of fresh bread
while gulping down huge mouthfuls of red wine,

fondling flesh and singing your crazy songs.
Poets are replaced by blind consumers

who collect gadgets and eat dead stuff from colorful boxes.
We sleep, we dream, and in our dreams, we find you.
There you sit, softly stroking our cheeks

and asking us to awaken and take your hand.

Dearest Walt, you are a white bearded monster,

a great wild smorgasbord of pulsing blood,
straining to burst the thin grape skin of a holy sage.
Walt, you strange old goat who roamed

the taverns calling out for anyone to drink you;
booming out an invitation to every mortal to embrace

your big body and become divine with you.
You are always bombed on the frozen now...

the amazing yes of being.

No comments: